Do you want to open a stainless steel foundry or just want to learn how to cast stainless steel in a foundry?
In either, your next step shouldn’t be buying a plant or factory because you don’t know enough about stainless steel foundry at the moment.
But don’t worry because we are here with every essential information you need in this case. So, let’s get straight into it:
Basics about Stainless Steel Foundry You Should Know
When learning about stainless steel casting or casting foundry, the first thing you should learn is its basics. Basics include things you have to do, quality and environmental measures you have to take.
Processes Involved in Stainless Steel Foundry
Here is everything you have to do in a foundry to cast stainless steel from scratch:
The first thing you have to do is take the raw material (scrap stainless steel and alloying elements) and melt it in an electric arc furnace or induction furnace. Now, you have molten steel which will now processed in the next step.
The main step of this process is casting. In casting, your job is to take that molten material and pour it into a mold or shape in which you want that material to be. That’s where complex processes like investment casting come into play.
Once your material has taken your desired shape, let it cool and solidify. Do it while keeping the material in the mold.
Finishing is taken for granted (usually) but it’s also as important as melting and casting are. During finishing, you have to take the cool material out (with bare hands) and clean it. A few other processes might also be needed depending on your application like additional machining, heat treatment, or surface finishing.
Laser Cutting Machine
laser cutter is widely used in cutting various metals, such as stainless steel,carbon steel, manganese steel, spring steel, titanium alloy, galvanized sheet, aluminum plate, brass, copper and other metal material. The tube laser cutting machine can help you cut many different shapes, such as round pipe, square tube, L shaped metal, H Shaped metal, etc.
Quality and Environment Control
While running a stainless steel casting foundry, your job is not just to melt and shape steel. You also have to take care of the quality of machinery and environment of the factory as these things matter more than we usually think.
A few things you can do in this case are:
- Checking if raw material you are using is alright
- Taking care of pollution that is emitted when melting the material.
- Select the material while keeping things in mind like temperature resistance, price, and mechanical properties.
- Use advanced filtration and recycling systems to ensure safety.
- Monitor the casting process closely.
Step-by-step Process: Stainless Steel Casting in Foundry
In the last heading, we talked about general processes that are performed in a stainless steel foundry. While talking about that we couldn’t do justice to casting because it’s a quite wide process.
That’s why we are here with a step-by-step guide to help you with that:
- Firstly, using an injection molding machine, design engine makes a wax pattern. Now, this pattern will be exactly what you want your stainless steel to be but the size of design will be a bit larger to encounter thermal contraction.
- Now, engineer will create a system to connect all designed patterns as desired.
- It’s time to run molten material (stainless steel and alloy) through the system. Once, it’s filled, stop running it and wait.
- Depending on your application and requirements, material will then be dipped in ceramic slurry while being covered with sand stucco. Repeat the process until you meet the required thickness.
- Don’t worry about wax, as it will be melted due to high temperature. The remaining particles of it will be taken care of by plaster or ceramic mold.
- Tada! Your job is done.
What does Future demand from a Stainless Steel Casting Foundry?
World is evolving every single day (at a quite high pace). New techniques and innovations are taking place so how will it affect you if you start stainless steel casting or foundry right now? Here are main future trends in stainless steel industry:
- There are discussions about innovative alloys for stainless steel casting that will have enhanced properties. Some industries have even started using them.
- New and bigger machinery are also being used in more significant industries.
- Better automation and even robots are in trend these days. Big fish are deciding to make these sorts of technologies compulsory in casting industry.
- Moreover, no all but a few companies are interested in the digitalization of stainless steel casting.
In the end, we’ll say that opening a stainless steel foundry isn’t as easy as it might look especially if you are just a newbie to the industry. There’s much more to learn, so take your time and first understand each and every aspect and process no matter if you want to start a business or it’s just related to your field. From melting metal to finishing, everything asks for experience and knowledge and both things are lacking in you.